Sunday, February 18, 2007

Site updates

I've spent most of the past couple of days making updates to the site. Spending time on this kind of grunt work is really frustrating to me -- not so much because I see myself as being "above" those sorts of efforts, but because it's so time-consuming. English is my first language, not HTML, and I always have the sense that with the things that take me hours to do, there's any number of people who could take care of it in a matter of minutes.

There's also my frustration with the fact that I can spend so much time on something and have it still look like ass. There's really only two things that I'm pleased with regarding the site:

1) Its simplicity. One of my pet peeves are theatre websites that use Flash and Java and take twenty minutes for my internet connection to catch up to. When I go to a website, I want information that's easily accessible, and the site provides that.

2) Its tone, which is the only real advantage of doing everything myself. I just don't understand why so many small theatre companies strive after some cold, formal, "professional"-sounding tone. A directness of communication between artists and audience is one of the advantages of a small company.

That said, I certainly wouldn't object to a much slicker *appearance* to the site -- or, at least, something that didn't scream "My First Website -- From PlaySkool!"

Then again, perhaps something with lots of interesting content, wrapped up in crap visuals, is a pretty fair representation of what the company does, sigh.

No comments: